It is necessary to be able to prevent a problem before it becomes uncontrollable and to do this, careful and precise attention must be placed at noticing the signs attributed to the problem. Gambling addiction has its symptoms and these symptoms make it easy to unravel the involvement of someone; and also to check one’s self towards preventing a great fall.
There are various possible means to understanding or realizing people that are already addicted, apart from having a talk therapy; that will be intended at figuring out someone’s intention and involvement, other symptoms can be taken note of as well.
It is not enough to talk about the symptoms for identifying gambling addictions without taking a brief look at this addiction.
Gambling is the willingness to sacrifice something of value in other to acquire something of greater value compared to what was sacrificed. So, gambling addiction is the consistent urge for gambling irrespective of the adverse effects it will have on one’s life. It is that point when gambling becomes a habit and there’s really nothing that can stop a person from gambling even after losing.
“Even those who have never been to a casino and likely never will can still become addicted gamblers because of the proliferation of gambling websites.” –Dr. David Hodgson
It is also referred to as problem gambling; it is an addictive disorder according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM 5) and has also been tagged as an impulse control disorder according to the American Psychiatric Association (APA) based on the study on pathological gambling.
Gambling addiction can be caused by an excessive hunger for gambling and it is at that point when nothing else appears paramount except gambling. Though it is possible to have control over your gambling habit, this is rare and might even end up leading to an addiction.
Symptoms and Tips
It is necessary to be able to help those that are addicted and also to keep one’s self in check, there are various things that can be taken into consideration to know when to quit or when to seek help. As it is hard to give up easily on addiction, it is better to be conscious of the symptoms or signs of addiction.
So, what signs must be seen to know that gambling addiction is occurring to someone?
- Financial instability: One of the most obvious signs is finance as the person will have to struggle to meet up with his/her daily target and the hunger for more will always be there. As Eric Dammann, PhD used to say, “We all have money issues and quirks of one kind or another. If we don’t know what those quirks are, they will emerge in a time of real stress or panic.” When a person that gambles begin to have issues with finance and then still continues to gamble in that instability; then it’s time to stop because the same feeling he/she gets with a lesser amount of money, will not be able to be met by the same amount; which leads to an increasing amount of money spent daily.
- Keeping Secrets: When the problem persists, the gambler begins to keep secrets of his/her movements and even of their spending. They are very much interested in placing bets and putting a large sum of money into gambling than any other thing, so the need for secrecy begins. When this is noticed, seek help.
- Spending time away: Addicted gamblers derive so much pleasure in giving a large chunk of their time to gambling, this allows them to spend time away from their family and even friends. They can decide to come home late from work or just head out after work and come back very late, the time they spend increases as the addiction grows. They also neglect to gather with people who are not gamblers because that’s where they feel they fit in.
- Desperation: When there is a desperate need for money and they are willing to do anything it’ll take to get more, just so they will have more money to gamble, and they can even consider theft or fraud, then that is another sign to identify gambling addiction. They can even spend time talking about gambling and express how it makes them feel.
- Source of happiness: “Happy people do things differently. They make their emotional wellbeing a priority and practice daily and weekly habits that help them create joy, happiness and satisfaction in their lives.” Dr. Chantal Gagnon PhD LMHC said. But there are those who tend to get enough satisfaction from gambling than any other thing. It becomes their number one priority and ultimately becomes their source of happiness. They derive pleasure in gambling any time and no love is shown by the family of friends will seem enough to match their burning desire for gambling.
When questions begin to bug our minds about our stand with gambling and we find ourselves testing positive to them instead of having negative responses, it’s a call to check ourselves. Questions like:
- Do you spend so much on gambling than any other thing?
- Do you find pleasure in meeting with friends or spending that time in a casino?
- Do you constantly fall into debts and then continue to still borrow to quench your desire to gamble?
- Do you neglect family time just to meet up with a gambling activity?
- Do you continuously find yourself going back to gamble after you have decided to quit?
It means there’s a lot to be done and help is very much needed as quickly as possible.